Friday, September 16, 2016

Something to think about



Lord, Prop us up



This author is unknown, I found this when I was cleaning out my file drawers, yesterday. I had printed it out in 2005.  It made me stop and think. 

~ ~ ~

LORD PROP US UP

Every time I am asked to pray, I think of the old deacon who always prayed, "Lord, prop us up on our leanin' side."

After hearing him pray that prayer many times, someone asked him why he prayed that prayer so fervently.

He answered, "Well sir, you see, it's like this....
I got an old barn out back.  It's been there a long time, it's withstood a lot of weather, it's gone through a lot of storms, and it's stood for many years.  It's still standing, but one day I noticed it was leaning to one side a bit.  So I went and got some pine poles and propped it up on its leaning side so it wouldn't fall.

Then I got to thinking 'bout that and how much I was like that old barn.  I've been around a long time.  I've withstood a lot of life's storms, I've withstood a lot of bad weather in life, I've withstood a lot of  hard times, and I'm still standing too! But I find myself leaning to one side from time to time, so I like to ask the Lord to prop us up on our leaning side, 'cause I figure a lot of us get to leaning, at times."

Sometime we get to leaning toward anger, toward bitterness, hatred, toward a lot of things that we shouldn't, so we need to pray, "Lord, prop us up on our leaning side, "so we will stand straight and tall again, to glorify the Lord..



~ ~ ~
Dear Lord, help me to lean on You today.
My life I yield to You,
A channel for Thy love and grace to be;
Use me just as Thou wilt, I humbly pray.
To point some soul unto the Living Way.
 More purity give me, more longings for home;
More fit for thy kingdom, more used would I be,
More blessed and holy...more, Savior, like Thee.

~ ~ ~ ~

Have a Blessed Day!

Sylvia
Linking to Outdoor Wednesday





21 comments:

Toni said...

Good morning Sylvia your post today is such a blessing to me and the barn photos are wonderful. Thank you for sharing and blessing my day.

Visits With Mary said...

I enjoyed reading this, it's so true!! Lord prop us up..have a great day!!

Breathing In Grace said...

I LOVE this, Ms. Sylvia!! I feel like I need propped up many times, too! Thanks for sharing on FFF....HOPE your weekend is full of happy stuff!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, that was SO good, Sylvia! Thank you for that poem and the pictures of the barns. What a wonderful message. Yes, Lord, please prop us up on our leanin' side! Love this.

Nonnie said...

Oh wow! That was good. I'm going to print this out! Let all my leaning be leaning on Him!

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

Great visuals to go along with this meaningful prayer that we can all relate to.

Melanie said...

Wonderful analogy. I'm so glad that God has been propping me up a lot lately. Have a blessed weekend.

Susie said...

Sylvia, I like this post. We all need to be propped up at times. Our Lord is a wonderful leaning post. We are blessed. Enjoy a great weekend, xoxo, Susie

annie said...

I loved this post. Came at a good time too!

Anonymous said...

Amen to this! So happy you found this and shared here. I wish you a good evening.

Barbara Neubeck said...

.. beautiful post Sylvia ...
your words speak to my heart.. thank you.....
God Bless You...
..... Barb xxxxx

janice15 said...

Sylvia, this is a lovely post. Just what I needed to read this morning. Gave me good insight to pray for that very thing. For our lord to prop me up this day because im in need. Thank you so much. Have a lovely day and weekend with love Janice

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

A beautiful thought Sylvia! Without the Lord to help us, where would we be! Loved the picture of the old building and the little lady standing beside it, quite a story to be shared behind this picture, I'm sure! Hugs to you today :)

doodles n daydreams said...

Lovely words and great pictures.

Diana

Summer said...

Nice and inspiring words ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

God's Grace Overflows said...

Very beautiful Sylvia! I definitely need to be propped up daily. I love the story of the barn. Thank you Jesus!
Enjoy your week dear friend!
Amy

Martha's Favorites said...

Sylvia: Love your post today. I would not be standing today if not that the Lord has propped me up every day. Sending hugs, Martha

betty-NZ said...

I love, love, love this post! The simple and direct approach works best any time you pray.

Summer said...

Wonderful and filling words☺ Amen ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

anne said...

Thank you for the inspiring words. All we need to do is have faith in him and everything will be alright. http://www.sheldontracy.com

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Hey, I see I liked it last year just as much as this year! How do you do this w/o the internet? You pretty smart woman! :)